- I have a bad habit of sneaking into places that I’m not supposed to be, it’s a little known Rocky fact, except that I am always taking people with me. What can I say, I like adventure. Early in the year Josh Frink and I went to the top of a very tall very fancy hotel, where we sneaked past guests, security, and card key entry points to the roof-just to see if they really had a heated pool. They do. (ca January)
- Running around Downtown Dallas as a Roman Gladiator. It was the Urban Dare. Ivan B. and I dominated in came in 35th or something like that, good times in deed. (ca May)
- Hilton head South Carolina, went there to perform the wedding of long time friends, and had such great time hanging out with them and being on the beach. Also stopped in Atlanta, GA and had lunch with Ian McCarty. It was great seeing him again. (ca JUNE 11)
- 18 hour train ride from Kiev to Simferopol. A 18 hour train ride full of drunk Ukrainians is not necessarily fun. What was wonderful was getting to spend time with Lauren Wolfe, and Curtis Cook. We had a 2 liter of coke and commandeered a cabin and talked it out. On another occasion Curtis and I were inside our room on a really rainy day and decided to narrate incredibly sad stories to each other using incredibly sad instrumental music as a background. (ca June 26)
- Simferopol, Kiev, Yalta. Worked at a camp with teenagers, who insisted on having a dance party every night. I learned tectonic dram style. Flirted with a Ukrainian translator, learned you should never drink too much smoked plum juice, especially if you have to climb the equivalent of the steps of Tenochtitlan to get to a toilet/ shower (they were basically a single unit (not kidding)). We ate ham omelets for breakfast because it was the only thing in Russian I could order. I will never forget the pregnant lady in a bikini I saw while strolling along the Black sea. You go Girl! (ca June 30)
- London England. Toured the city, had a ball and pub crawled. I will be returning there soon. Got to spend some time knowing Doug W., nothing beats talking about life over a pint, or 5. Navigated the underground with ease and learned to appreciate the phrase “mind the gap” Gave a donation to help maintain the Tower of London, citizens of UK you are welcome. (ca July 5)
- Telling the youth group at VVCC that I had resigned. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, and I have had to do a lot of hard things. (ca August 18)
- Feeding a fox from hand in Breckenridge, CO. Very good friends of mine have a house in Breckenridge. They flew me there because they knew, (better than I did), that I needed the encouragement. They were right. (ca August 31)
- Finding a new job at Eastridge Park Christian Church. There have been very few times in my life when I was absolutely certain that something was the right thing to do. Accepting the Job at Eastridge is one of them. So far, its been pretty great. (ca December )
- God giving me exactly what I need, and using his church to do it. This year the Lord has provided for me through countless people. A train in the Ukraine, a pub in London, a hot tub in the mountains, a church full of people I had never met, a temporary church home at Bridgeway Christian Church, Playing darts, a crazy bachelor party, Cigars with friends and countless other stories and interactions have made all the difference. I can hardly wait to see what 2011 is going to be like.
Great stuff Rocky! Overall, pretty good year.
You are right my friend, all in all it has been a really great year. I would love to read about your year, did you blog about it?
Not yet. Maybe soon…
Been keeping in touch via. Facebook. Pretty packed year.
Happy New Year – God Bless
#1 most memorable moment, score!
They are in chronological order dork.
awesome…enjoyed evry adventure with you, even though I physically not there with you…u took me along just by the beautiful photos you have shared…love you bubba and keep sharing GOD art we call our world….